The Role of the Headteacher/Deputy of attendance
Millbrook Primary has a number of staff who have pastoral responsibilities. The overall responsibility for attendance sits with the Headteacher, however, the day to day systems and therefore accountability belong to the Deputy Headteacher.
To enhance good practice the following are recommended:-
- The Headteacher should attend the daily attendance/safeguarding briefing
- Hold key staff accountable for the implementation of systems
- Ensure the school culture is one that prioritises attendance and linked safeguarding processes.
The Deputy Headteacher attendance lead should:
- Pay special attention to latecomers; this will demonstrate their conviction that being in school and in class on time is very important.
- Ensure that class teachers and those who manage attendance are clear about their responsibilities with regards to following up attendance in accordance with the school policy.
- Ensure that all absent students are safeguarded in line with policy and school capacity