Our curriculum is set out as per Appendix 1, but we may need to adapt it as and when necessary.
Primary sex education will focus on:
- Preparing boys and girls for the changes that adolescence brings
- How a baby is conceived and born
For more information about our curriculum, see our curriculum map in Appendices 1, 2 and 3.
At Millbrook Primary School and Nursery, RSE is taught through a PSHE program called ‘Jigsaw’. Jigsaw is taught to all children from Nursery through to Year 6, and each year has six focus areas (also known as puzzle pieces) which remain the same. These are as follows:
Focus Area/Puzzle Piece
Being me in my world
Dreams and Goals
Sex Education – No
PSHE – Yes
Science - Yes
Health Education - Yes
Although the focus areas remain the same each year, the content within these areas progress to match the children’s:
- Physical and emotional maturity
- Religious and cultural backgrounds (see section 11 for more detail).
- Special educational needs and disabilities (see section 8 for more detail).